Yumthang valley is situated in North Sikkim at an elevation of 3564 m ,it is a paradise on earth, which is full of picturesque beauty and nature wonders. Yumthang valley is the home to spectacular mountains, zillion flowers and serene river, and is often also known as the ‘Yumthang Valley of Flowers’ like the one which is located in Uttarakhand. Its magical and breathtaking surroundings make it a must visit place for every tourist. This valley is a vintage point for the beautiful peaks of Shundu Tsenpa and Panhunri forming an amazing scenic setting for the Teesha river. The valley is closed for tourists between December and March due to heavy snowfall in the region.
Specialty of Yumthang valley
Yumthang valley is also known as the ‘Valley of flowers’ because of the Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary which is a home to the more than 250 species of beautiful flowers which usually blooms during February and June.
Things to do in Yumthang valley
If you are thinking what to do in Yumthang valley, let us tell you it is a wonderful place with lots of activities to do. Here are the list of best things to do in Yumthang valley that will give you an amazing experience of staying there.
- Spend time near Yumthang Chu
- Try local food
- Visit Lachen
- Indulge in a multi day trek at the Zero Point
- Spend a day at Gurudongmar Lakes
- A trek to Mount Katao
- A day at the village of Chungthang
- Dancing till you drop at Lachung Monastery
- Spend a day at Rhododendron Sanctuary
Some tips for visiting Yumthang valley
- Before visiting yumthang valley you have to make sure that your shoes are sturdy enough to easily explore the valley.
- Don’t forget to carry enough cash with you as there are no ATMs in Yumthang valley.
- In case you’re not too comfortable with the food in the hills, you can carry your own food or find a decent restaurant in Sikkim.
- Make sure to plan your trip during the best time to visit the valley so that you have the most impeccable experience.
- Don’t forget to carry your essentials especially toiletries and medicine for high altitude sickness.
- As per my advice you should prefer staying for a night in Lachung and begin your journey to Yumthang valley early in the morning, as the evening gets foggier and darker quite early around 5:00 PM there.
- Irrespective of the season in which you are visiting Yumthang valley you must carry your winter clothes as the weather can get really cold up there.
- As we know that the Yumthang valley is located very close to the China border, the whole area is under the control of army, and Protected are permit is required for visiting it as a tourist. So you have to make sure to get it from Gangtok tourism office while planning your trip or you can also ask your trip planner to get it for you.
Places to stay in Yumthang Valley
Here are the some places to stay in Yumthang valley:
|Divine’s The Elite Zong||Rs 1,506|
|Delight Royal Lachung||Rs 1,623|
|Tenzing Retreat||Rs 1,149|
|Etho Metho||Rs 3,470|
|Magellan’s The golden Bridge||Rs 2,016|
|Summit khangri Karpo||Rs 2,314|
|Le Coxy resort||Rs 2,688|
|Hotel The Planters Home||Rs 3,912|
|Hotel Royal Gangtok||Rs 3,360|
Places to eat near Yumthang valley
- Thundel Food and Spirits
- Hotel Le Green
- Hotel Sikkim delight
- Porkys restaurant
- The Royal heritage
- Soul Food and cafe
- Siddanth inn
- The Sikkim retreat & Jagjeets Rest-O-Bar
- The travel cafe
Best timings to visit Yumthang Valley
The best time to visit Yumthang valley is from February to mid-June as the remains the best during this time. Please note that Yumthang valley is quite close to the Indo-Chinese border, you may need a permit to reach the place.
How to reach at Yumthang Valley
Pakyong Airport is the nearest airport from yumthang valley. However it only became operational till September 2018 and currently it only connects Gangtok to Kolkata and Guwahati. People travelling from other region are required to first journey to Bagdogra Airport which is situated in West Bengal, from where you can hire a taxi or cab to reach at Gangtok, which is located 120 km away. After that you have to change a cab from Gangtok to Lachung. Which will add another 5-6 hours to your journey. It usually takes takes a entire day to reach at Yumthang valley after landing in Bagdogra.
Darjeeling railway station is the nearest railway station from Yumthang valley. It is located around 98 km from Gangtok. Road travel between Darjeeling and Gangtok is very convenient with a number of cabs and bus services available to hire. Some travellers also choose to travel via New Jaipalguri Railway station, which is located 190 km away from the capital and is accessible through taxis and buses.
Yumthang is only accessed by the road after you reach Gangtok. The nearest village of Lachung is located 110 km from the Yumthang valley and takes around 2 hours to reach there. You can easily reach there by hiring taxi or cab. It is a treat to reach yumthang by road because of the picturesque route full of waterfalls and streams.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)s
Que- Is it safe to visit Yumthang?
Ans- Yes, the Yumthang valley is completely safe to visit but due to its high elevation breathing problems can occur if someone has underlying health issues.
Que- Is there accommodation available in Yumthang valley?
Ans- No, there is no accommodation available in Yumthang. However, visitors can stay in the nearby locations such as Lachung and Lachen.
Que- Do tourists need permit to visit the valley?
Ans- Yes, as the valley is very close to the Indo-Chinese border, you may need to obtain a permit to visit it.
Que- From where tourists get the permit to visit the valley?
Ans- Permits to tourists are given at the tourist office in Sikkim.
Que- Why Yumthang valley is called the “ Valley of flowers”?
Ans- Yumthang valley is called valley of flowers because of the Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary.
Keep visiting define places for latest updates.